Monday, July 05, 2010

High Falls State Park, GA

Here we are at High Falls State Park in Georgia (between Atlanta and Macon). It's a nice evening and the miracle of technology has the two of us sitting outside the coach in the dark typing on our respective computers. I'm posting on the blog and Mary is putting something up in our family's FaceBook group. We're connected through a Verizon MiFi 2200 which lets both of us be online in our own private "hotspot" at the same time. Neat stuff!

This is a very pleasant state park, not far off the Interstate. We're on the way to Savannah, GA, where we'll arrive tomorrow. The evening is nice too, cool enough to sit outside. We'll probably be able to sleep with the windows open and the AC off! That'll be nice.

An observation from today's driving: it was easier to drive through Atlanta (we went straight through on I-75) than it was to drive through Nashville. Now, I admit that today was a holiday for many people (since the 4th was on a Sunday), but still! It was easier to drive through Atlanta than Nashville!

We're getting better at setting up and breaking down camp. We're faster and take fewer missteps along the way. Hurray for us! This morning we had to do the dreaded holding tank DUMP! Black water and gray water alike. I will spare you the details, but it is not a fun experience, just a necesary one!

I'll be back tomorrow, after we get into Savannah.

4 comments:

Ransom Clark said...

Glad things went so well in M'boro. I agree that Atlanta is easier to go through than Nashville. It's about as easy to go around ATL using west 285. Enough about those roads.

Enjoy your evening.

Helen

Fred O'Bryant said...

Forrest and Mary--
Just got caught up on reading your blog and am glad to know you're enjoying your first foray into the world of RVing. I look forward to reading about your further adventures. Take care and by all means "keep it in the road!" :-)
Fred O'B.

Julie and Sid said...

How about some pictures?

Unknown said...

Helen, the reason for the "through" Atlanta choice was the fact that it was a holiday on Monday for many people so traffic was lighter.

Fred, I'm just following in your footsteps in recording a journey and sharing it with my friends and family. And I am well aware that I am nowhere near your literary quality. But thanks for providing an inspiration.

Sid/Julie, Mary is the picture-taker and so I'll need to steal...er, borrow some from her facebook postings. And I probably should do that for the benefit of those who chose to subject themselves to my attempt at journaling.