Friday, January 31, 2014

It's Been an Interesting Month ... Well, Many Months!

Hi! It's been a while, hasn't it? That's life! We've been a lot of places since June, 2013, and had lots of fun, seen some amazing places and lots of friends, and made some new ones.

Hey, did you catch the change of name of the blog? I thought I would update the name and suggest that this is a new start ... and see if I can do a better job of keeping things up to date. "Retired, RVing, and Rambling" (the old name) still fits but I want to move beyond that and convey the idea of a new start. The new name, Two For(e)Traveling is a play on words about our current RV, a 1996 Foretravel U295. I told you about that in the last post you got to see from June of 2013.

I'm not going to try to catch up on all that has happened since I last wrote. I've tried to do that twice and two computer mishaps have lost all of that writing. For the technologically knowledgeable, Blogger does not automatically save what you are writing, like word processing programs do, and someone (that would be me, wouldn't it) did not save all that he had written and managed to lose it. Live and learn. But why did it take doing it twice to learn? Some of us learn more slowly than others. By the way, I'm saving this version as I write so it won't get lost and you'll get to see it!

Maybe sometime I'll try to recreate the story of the last seven months. It includes all sorts of adventures, most of them fun with a little bit of stress thrown in through having to get an engine rebuilt (that is a story worth telling and I'll try to back up and do that sometime). Anyway, between June 9 and today, we went from Oklahoma to Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, Indiana, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, and then to Florida. Several of those states were visited more than once as we moved around and some states we simply drove through on the way from one place to another. In other words, we did a bit of traveling.

Highlights of these months included extended stays in the Badlands of SD, Yellowstone Park, the Grand Tetons, several weeks in Wisconsin, and a visit with Vini and Krista in West Virginia.  We also got to see the falls and gorges of the Jocassee Gorges area of North and South Carolina, and had three-weeks stays at Ocean Canyon resorts in Georgia, north Alabama, and south Alabama before moving on to Florida. We did get to visit with brother Ransom and his wife, Helen, for Christmas in a repeat of last year's schedule.
 Right now, we're in Cedar Key, Florida, at the Sunset Isle RV Park and Motel where we've been for the whole month of January. We'll be leaving here tomorrow to head south toward Fiesta Key RV Resort on Long Key. Just to be clear, Cedar Key is in northern Florida on the Nature Coast (the west or Gulf coast of Florida) and Long Key is in southern Florida in THE Keys.

As I said, we spent the month of January, 2014, here in Cedar Key, just as we did in January, 2013. This time, it was a cold month and we did not have nearly as much outdoor fun as last year. We really only had one good hot day and a few (very few) warm ones. On the warm day, we did get to go kayaking with some friends on the Chassahowitzka River in the National Wildlife Refuge.

I hope this is enough of a teaser to leave you wanting to check back in with us. I'll try to write more about our westward ho trip and our time in Cedar Key SOON!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Forrest and Mary! Hope you are enjoying your new ventures. We had a great time getting to know both of you in Cedar Key. We hope our paths will cross again someday. Safe travels, Dan and Jonell

Unknown said...

Hi, I'm Brenda. I was sent to your site by Technomadia. Noticed you mentioned Northern Baptist Seminary in your Profile. Did you ever meet Dr. William R. Nelson, who taught there for many years? I went to Colgate Rochester Divinity School, myself. Getting ready to retire after 35 years in ministry and hit the road with my little mini-camper and Kia Soul. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Perhaps our paths will cross.